The Independent Institute of Lay Adventists of Kigali – INILAK was founded in 1997 by FAPADER, an Association of Adventist Parents for the development of Education in Rwanda. INILAK was fully accredited by the Government of Rwanda through the Ministerial Order No 002/09 of 09/04/2009.
The institute has two campuses, notably the one housing its Head Office located at the heart of Kigali City, Gasabo District, Rukiri I Sector, and its offshoot located in Busasamana Sector, Nyanza District, Southern Province, which has opened its doors in the early days of this year 2010.
Contribute to the national development by providing well-educated citizens capable of handling developmental challenges, with much emphasis on quality education both on moral and intellectual basis, able to develop the spirit of know-how, creativity and performance in accordance with the vision 2020.
The core mission of the Independent Institute of Lay Adventists of Kigali is to promote education, scientific and technological research as well as the service to the community.
The Kigali main campus
For the moment, INILAK delivers Bachelor’s Degree after four years of studies in each one of the following Faculties:
a) Faculty of Law (Bachelor’s Degree in Law)
b) Faculty of Economic Sciences:
- Department of Management (Bachelor’s Degree in Business administration)
- Department of Rural Development (Bachelor’s Degree in Rural Development
- Department of Information Management (Bachelor’s Degree in Information system)
The best student being congratulated at a recent graduation
FAPADER BRIEF HISTORY
|FAPADER – the Federation of Adventist Parents Association for the Development of Education in Rwanda groups the associations of the Adventist parents countrywide who strive to contribute to the promotion of education in Rwanda. It is those associations that gave birth to the Independent Institute of Lay Adventists of Kigali – INILAK.
Education as a Strategy of Evangelism
Since the Seventh Day Adventist Church started in Rwanda, one of the strategies used in the activity of evangelism (its utmost duty) has always been fulfilled through teaching how to read and write. In every site that was opened up, the first thing to do was to create a small school next to the church building.
Training of Teachers – Evangelists
The first Seventh Day Church School with the aim to train teachers – evangelists was planted in Gitwe around 1931. This was the only school that taught the grade three level of primary education. This school received students from the whole Union that comprised of Congo, Rwanda and Urundi. The first students graduated in 1936, as teachers-evangelists. Gitwe that was previously limited to offer up to four years of secondary education was upgraded to a full secondary school status. It seemed a miracle in 1972 after 41 years, to see the first High School graduates with state recognized diplomas.